Ahmed Al-Kadi Private Hospital – The Realisation of a Vision
Click here to visit the official Ahmed Al-Kadi website.
- How it all began…
- Progress Made To Date: A Timeline
- Contact Us
How it all began…
“It is through the grace of Allah (SWT) and the commitment of many individuals that the Ahmed Al-Kadi Private Hospital is now a reality” – Dr Goolam M Hoosen, IMA founding member
It was a vision of the founding fathers of the IMASA to establish a hospital, following a discussion of this topic at a conference/AGM.
The objective of establishing such a hospital was twofold:
> to promote healthcare with an Islamic ethos
> to provide healthcare to the underprivileged citizens of South Africa
Two veteran executive members of IMASA, Dr MC Solwa and Mr Solly Suleman were tasked with establishing this hospital, which would aptly be named Ahmed Al-Kadi Private Hospital, after the famed late Egyptian-American heart surgeon who inspired the founding members of IMASA to take the organisation to another level, during the early years after its formation.
It is important to note that from the onset, this hospital has been founded upon an Islamic ethos that aims to promote the rights and respect of all patients, irrespective of race or religion.
It is also the intention of the Islamic Medical Association Baytul Nur Trust (IMABNT) to subsidize the underprivileged sector of the community.
The commitment of the hospital will extend beyond its boundaries to surrounding communities through outreach, wellness and enrichment programmes as well as economic promotion and support.
The hospital site is strategically positioned off the N3 highway, making it accessible to patients and service providers. It is located in a safe neighbourhood within easy reach of other medical centres, hospitals and doctors’ consulting rooms. It is adequate for building a 120 bed hospital, encompassing other services and facilities including:
> Emergency Casualty Unit
> Day Ward
> Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
> Halaal Food
> Ghusl Khanna
> Staff and Visitor Parking
> Sufi Garden
The estimated total funding required for the establishment of the hospital is R250 million, broken down as follows:
Construction: R190 million
Equipment: R40 million
Working Capital: R20 million
It was decided that the IMA Baytul Nur Trust would hold 26% of the shares, and private investors would hold the remaining 74% of shares.
Progress Made To Date: A Timeline
24th September 2013 – Sod Turning Ceremony
Significantly, this event took place on a day remembered on the South African calendar as National Heritage Day. The occasion was honoured by the presence of Mrs Eman Al-Kadi, the wife of the late Dr Ahmed Al-Kadi, and their daughter Salma Abugideiri who flew in from the US. They were both emotional and said Dr El-Kadi’s vision had been to see growth in the organisation, and that the hospital project represented a fulfilment of his dreams. Mrs El-Kadi said she was humbled that the hospital had been named after her late husband. Two founding members of IMASA, Dr Mohammed Khan and Dr Goolam M Hoosen addressed those present, together with Solly Suleman and Dr MC Solwa.
14 November 2013 – Launch of the Hospital Prospectus
The hospital prospectus was registered with the CIPC, and deemed sharee’ah compliant by Darul Iftaa which issued a press statement in favour thereof. Ten thousand share blocks (accounting for 74% of the total shares) were put on offer to the public for R25 000 each.
5 August – 10 September 2013 – Demolition of Existing Structure by Atomic Demolishers
13 November 2013 – Appointment of Principal Contractor
The office of the Ahmed Al-Kadi Private Hospital and IMA Baytul Nur Trust was abuzz with excitement as the directors and hospital project team gathered together for the appointment of the principal contractor Liviero Building (Pty) Ltd. The company has accumulated many years of experience in construction and are excited to be part of this invaluable community project.
Discovery of Borehole Water
It was purely through the Mercy of Allah, that we unexpectedly discovered that we have access to borehole water on the hospital property!
8 January 2014 – Access to An Abundance of Water, Alhamdulillah!
Natal Drilling drilled on site to determine the depth of the water. It was established that the water was over 80m deep and that approximately 20 000 litres per hour could be pumped.
27 January 2014 – Earthworks begin!
The site was officially handed over to Liviero Building (Pty) Ltd, and earthworks began immediately thereafter.
28 February 2014 – Deadline for Purchasing R25 000 Share Blocks
By the time deadline was reached, thousands of applications from both local and overseas investors had been received.
Ahmed Al Kadi Private Hospital – Excellence in Healthcare
490 King Cetshwayo (Jan Smuts) Highway, Mayville, Durban
Phone: +27 31 208-3887 / +27 31 208-2529
Mobile: +27 81 017-8688
Click map to open maps in Google Maps